These are the articles I consider my best and most important articles — the ones I refer people to the most.
Not sure where to start? Start with these three articles, beginning with the article I consider the most important:
Internet Safety: 7 Steps to Staying Safe OnlineOnline security is critical. Here are the key steps you can take to keep yourself safe on the internet.
Why Is “Back Up First” Your Recommendation for Everything?Nothing protects you and your data like a complete, recent backup, even when it might not be obvious. That's why I harp on it so much.
How to Back Up WindowsUsing free and included tools, here's how to back up Windows and all your data in eight easy steps.
Should I Update to Windows 11?Windows 11 is out to much fanfare, hype, and confusion. Unless you have specific reasons, you don't need to upgrade yet, but there's also no reason to avoid it.
Protect Your Data
- Why Is “Back Up First” Your Recommendation for Everything?
- How To Back Up Windows 10
- How Do I Back Up My Computer?
- How To Use Cloud Storage Safely
Protect Your Computer
- 8 Steps to Securing Your Router
- What Security Software do you Recommend?
- How Do I Remove Malware from Windows 10 or 11?
- How to Remove PUPs and Other Unexpected Things From Your Computer
- Will Using an On-Screen Keyboard Stop Keyloggers?
- How to Avoid Ransomware
- How Do I Make Sure Windows is Up to Date?
- How Do I Fix Windows Update?
Protect Your laptop
Protect Your Online World
- A One Step Way to Lose Your Account … Forever
- 12 Steps To Keep from Getting Your Account Hacked
- Please Set Up and Maintain Account Recovery Information
- Is Using the Cloud Safe?
- Your Six Strongest Practical Password Techniques, Ranked
- How Long Should a Password Be?
- Why is It So Important to Use a Different Password for Everything?
- Why Password Managers are Safer than the Alternatives
- My Email Is Hacked, How Do I Fix It?
- Facebook hacked? What you need to do NOW
- What are my Lost Hotmail Account and Password Recovery Options?
Windows & Networking
- Where can I download Windows?
- How should I set up my home network?
- How do I best extend my wireless network for laptop access?
- Where’s my disk space going?
- Why is my machine slowing down?
- How do I find out what program is using all my CPU?
- Embracing the Most Important Attitude
- The Most Important Skill You Can Improve
- If I Had to Do It Over…
Best of Ask Leo! by email
Hopefully, you’ve signed up for Confident Computing, my weekly newsletter. I recommend you also sign up for The Best of Ask Leo!. Once a week you’ll get a full Ask Leo! article from the archives in your inbox. More information here.
All Articles by Date
I’ll warn you: there’s a bunch! Almost 6,000! You’ll find the full list – with most recent articles at the top – right here: All entries (by date).
Another view that might be useful is the full list of categories under which the articles are organized. You’ll find that here: All Categories.