(Emailed to The Ask Leo! Tip Of The Day subscribers.)
Let me start by saying, yet again, how grateful I am for your support. It really means a lot to me.
I want to let you know about an upcoming change in how The Tip of the Day archives are stored, and how you’ll access them.
Details are below, but the super-short version is that the archives will move from members.askleo.com to askleo.com, and if you don’t already have an account on askleo.com, you’ll be getting one. Things may be a little rough over the next couple of weeks or so as we transition, so your patience and understanding are very much appreciated.
Become a Patron of Ask Leo! and go ad-free!
Why are we changing?
In two words: account confusion. (There’s some geeky stuff in the back that’ll let me provide a more streamlined service, but honestly, confusion is the biggie right now.)
Depending on where and how you signed up for The Ask Leo! Tip of the Day, or became an Ask Leo! patron, you may have as many as three separate accounts:
- Patreon: if you became a patron using Patreon, you have an account there to manage your pledge and payment options.
- members.askleo.com: this is the site on which the Tip of the Day archives are stored. You have an account there so you can access the archives.
- askleo.com: if you purchased Tip of the Day, or became a patron, by making a purchase from The Ask Leo! Store, you have an account here. This allows you to manage your subscription and payment options, and also grants you access to “Ad Free Ask Leo!” whenever you’re logged in.
The key confusion is simply this: askleo.com and members.askleo.com are two completely different sites, requiring two different logins.
The goal is to simplify. One account to rule them all: askleo.com.
What are we changing?
It’s a multi-step process.
- New askleo.com account. If you don’t already have one, you’ll get a new account on askleo.com (remember, this is separate from members.askleo.com). You’ll receive a separate email when this is ready, including instructions on how to set your password.
- New tips move to askleo.com. I’ll start publishing The Tip of the Day via askleo.com, where new tips will be automatically archived. This should be pretty transparent to you. The Tip of the Day email will not change (other than cosmetically).
- Old tips move to askleo.com. I’ll move the existing Tip of the Day archives to askleo.com.
- Old tips leave members.askleo.com. Finally, I’ll remove the existing tip archive from members.askleo.com. They’ll be in one place: askleo.com.
After those steps are done, you’ll no longer need your “members.askleo.com” account for Tip of the Day. (Though you may need it for other things still stored there – for now.) If you move your pledge from Patreon to my store, you’ll be able to use your single askleo.com account for everything.
When are we changing?
The process should start this week. I have no idea how long it will take, but I expect a week or two. Moving the archives will probably take the longest.
I’ll send you a final email when we’re done.
Why am I telling you this?
To reduce confusion?
I want you not to be surprised when the changes happen.
Honestly, part of this is just to make sure I’ve got as many of the i’s dotted and t’s crossed as I can, and to anticipate the questions you might have. I want this to be as seamless as possible for all of us.
If you’ve made other purchases from me, you know there’s a lot more than The Tip of the Day at members.askleo.com. I’m moving the tip archive first because it’s the biggest, but I do plan to move much of the other content at members.askleo.com. Next up will be the Video Library.
Thank you, again, for your support, your understanding, and your patience.
(An archived copy of this email can be found at February 2018 Changes to The Ask Leo! Tip of the Day. If you have questions, please comment there, as it’ll help everyone who has the same question.)
6 comments on “February 2018 Changes to the Ask Leo! Tip of the Day”
I read your post today about the changes. What do I have to do in order to facilitate this change?
Right now: nothing at all. This was just a heads up that changing is coming. If there’s action you need to take, there will be separate email with specific details.
I have purchased books in the past which created an account on http://askleobooks.com. However, I can’t tell if I also have an account on askleo.com. I tried to login with Forgot Password but never got an email with the password nor a message saying I don’t have an account. Do I have an askleo account? If not, how do I create one?
I also have an account on https://members.askleo.com/ – is that the same as askleobooks.com?
askleobooks.com is gone. :-)
members.askleo.com and askleo.com are two completely different sites with two completely separate logins. (I thought the message above laid this out, as well as this confusion being the reason for the change.)
If you bought a book in the past and registered it you have an account at members.askleo.com.
If you bought a book recently, or signed up as a patron recently then you may have an account on askleo.com.
If you’re not getting the password reset on askleo.com then it’s probably safe to say that you don’t yet have an account there. :-)
I pay $5 for tip of the day and I get the Ask Leo! questions and answers. But I dont really know what account I have. I did have a Patreon account but I tried to change it to your askleo.com but I am really confused as what account I am on. I only want the tip of the day and the Q & A items right now. Can you help me??
Actually right now you have all three: Patreon for the payment, members.askleo.com for access to the archives, and askleo.com for access to archives in the future and Ad-Free Ask Leo!. :-)